Sunday, March 3, 2013

Sew, Sometimes I Craft Without (#2) . . .

. . . paper! I decided to make this a 'series', so this is my second post (1st is here), wherein I've sewn a doll outfit and crafted sans paper (other than my pattern, of course).

This cute little Valentine dress in pink with baby white ric-rac trim is made from a darling free 'popover sundress' pattern available online from Oliver + S. Go check out her fabulous blog! I will tell you that I've learned the hard way that the original American Girl Dolls from the 80's/90's are a bit plumper than the ones now made by Mattel, so I will add a bit to the width of this dress next time I stitch it. The original AG Doll patterns (still available online too) are much more generous, so now I'll measure each of our little ladies and do any needed adjustments before I cut/sew.

It's a bit snug going up over Molly's waist, but fits just fine and I have no little girl to dress the dolls right now. NOTE: I did the back of dress exactly as the front with the ric-rac, so I didn't add a back view photo.  It's just such a quick, sweet and really simple-to-make little A-line dress -- I LOVE it and I can 'play' with my sewing!

I had a triangle-shaped scrap left over and couldn't resist making a little scarf  -- guess I envisioned Molly going on a picnic and wanting to keep her long hair from blowing in her face. I decided to post this now as we've had perfect picnic weather -- about 80 degrees and just an occasional breeze. Thanks for stopping by to see my non-paper creation. My 3rd installment will post soon, as I'm really enjoying sewing AND fabric is as addicting as paper, you know, so please come visit again!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

This is absolutely adorable!! You did a fabulous job!! You should sell these...they are awesome!! Happy Sunday :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Raquel said...

Beautiful dress and coordinating headband. Love the trims on her dress... wonderful job!

1CardCreator said...

This is adorable, I wish I was this talented, no sewing skills at all! ~Diane

P.G. Lamb said...

Marge, I am so jealous you can sew! This is so adorable!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin